LAKE FOREST, Calif. (October 29, 2013) – Kwikset® answers consumer demand for both convenience and security with its Kevo™ smart lock. The highly anticipated Bluetooth®-enabled deadbolt is now available to order and begins shipping today to homes across America. By simply installing Kevo and downloading the mobile app, your iPhone® becomes your key. Convenient and versatile, Kevo gives owners the ability to unlock the door with their smartphone and a simple touch; send electronic keys (eKeys) to family, friends and service people; and receive notifications whenever a user enters or exits their door.
“Kevo is not just another lock, it represents a shift in lifestyle for busy homeowners. Whether keeping track of your teenage daughter, granting temporary access to a housecleaner or monitoring your front door activity while on vacation, Kevo redefines the meaning of smart, simple security,” said Greg Gluchowski, president, Kwikset.
Using the Kevo mobile app, homeowners can send eKeys to family, friends or service people, anywhere, anytime. Once an eKey is sent, recipients can simply download the mobile app, if they don’t already have it installed, keep their iPhone in their purse or pocket and unlock the door with a simple touch. With several levels of permissions, Kevo Owners and Administrators have authorization to send, delete and disable eKeys within seconds. After distributing eKeys, they can choose to receive notifications when a user locks or unlocks the door, for convenient home security management. Homeowners agree, eKeys are the answer to every-day challenges in key (and home security) management:
“Using Kevo is like living in the future. My new smart lock, and therefore my home, now magically recognizes me by touch. Being able to issue and revoke virtual keys to family members or service providers is priceless. Install was a breeze, even for a guy like me who's never replaced a deadbolt, and it only required a single screwdriver.” – David Zatz, blogger at “Zatz Not Funny”.
“I have two dogs that I walk and two children, ages four and two. I am always carrying the kids, groceries and my bags from work, holding the dog's leashes, or with my hands full,” said Kathy Z. of “3 Boys and a Dog” blog. “This device is invaluable to me because instead of fumbling for keys (that I inevitably drop), I can simply touch my lock with one finger and gain access to my home. I always have my phone on me, either in my pant pocket or in my purse, and I can just leave it in there, touch my Kevo and I am in. The convenience factor is huge!”
Control and Convenience
Kwikset’s Kevo mobile app includes a simple interface that delivers much more than eKey management. After setting up a Kevo account, Owners can customize and control everything through their app, including:
- Managing eKeys and settings associated with each given lock
- Receiving notifications when a user enters or exits the door
- Monitoring lock activity and tracking user history
- Updating Kevo lock software directly from a smartphone
- Instant access to Kevo’s Help Center
- Kevo web portal offers the same management features as the app via a browser
The Kevo Advantage
Kevo combines UniKey Technologies™, Inc.’s (UniKey) secure touch-to-open technology and Kwikset’s 67 years of experience engineering and manufacturing residential door locks. This combination of expertise translates to unmatched convenience and security features that include:
- Inside-outside technology – Kevo offers patent-pending intelligent positioning technology that detects whether an authorized user is inside or outside of the home before granting access, to help prevent unauthorized entry.
- Touch-to-open convenience – Users can keep their phones in their pocket or purse. No more fumbling for keys, simply touch the lock to open for the ultimate in convenience.
- Kevo fob – No smartphone? No problem. Users can enjoy the same touch to open convenience with the fob. A single fob can be authorized to work with up to 25 Kevo locks.
- Multiple levels of encryption – Kevo uses multiple levels of encryption to increase digital security and is continually reviewed by industry leading independent security experts.
- SmartKey® technology – Kwikset’s patented SmartKey re-key technology provides superior security and re-key convenience unlike any other smart lock on the market.
"Being able to securely gain access by simply touching your lock with the smartphone in your pocket, acting as your key, is a simple yet significant advancement."
Currently, the brands covered in the chart include Kwikset Kevo powered by Unikey, Lockitron, August, and Goji.