Medeco Logic residential lockset
Maxum available in 14 finishes
Medeco Maxum deadbolt family
Consumer Reports gave Maxum its highest rating
Upgrade security with Medeco Logic eKey
Medeco® Maxum deadbolts exceed Grade 1 ANSI/BHMA A156.36 standard for auxilary locks. Solid brass, free turning collar and 1/4 inch diameter mounting bolts resist wrenching, prying and hammering attacks. One-inch throw hardened steel bolt resists sawing and crowbar attacks.
Hardened steel inserts and rotating pins provide drill and pick resistance in accordance with UL437 standard for safety for key locks. The Medeco3 design offers a utility patent that provides protection against unauthorized key duplication.
The Maxum deadbolt can be ordered with a variety of different cylinder technologies. For loss and liability control, Medeco Logic and Medeco3 Logic eCylinder options are also available.
Medeco Q & A
Locksmith Ledger interviewed Ann McCrady, education development manager, for more detailed information. Following are the Ledger’s questions and her answers.
Can you outline recent updates to the high security Maxum deadbolt?
While the Maxum deadbolt has been available for a long time, Medeco continues to work to make the Maxum easier and quicker to install, with all the component parts available out of the box for 1 ¾” to 2 ½” thick doors. A hardened steel shield protects the bolt from attack. By improving the shield, making it slightly smaller and closer to the bolt itself, strength is maintained and the lock has more flexibility for installations that may need a bit more flexibility.
Can different Medeco equipment be deployed within the same facility so there is continuity between doors and keys and credentials can be preserved, while delivering the best value to the end-user?
Yes, you can have Medeco high security Maxum on some doors, and M3 Logic Maxum on other doors and use the same key for both locks. While still offering the client a 100 percent world class locking system throughout the facility, a 70 percent savings can be passed along for each opening where a MAXUM HS is specified in lieu of the M3 Logic Maxum.
Is the eCylinder option used with the Maxum Interchangeable Core?
For Medeco XT type eCylinder, the option is to order a Maxum SFIC and insert the XT SFIC. For Logic (Classic or M3 Logic), you order regular Maxum with the Logic cylinder.
Is the Maxum available with double eCylinders?
A double cylinder deadbolt may be ordered, but only the external cylinder is an eCylinder. For safety reasons, the interior cylinder should always be mechanical so something like a low/dead battery can’t keep someone locked inside.
What features/benefits might attract locksmiths currently offering other brands to consider adding Medeco to their lines or switching over to Medeco?
The Maxum deadbolt is consistently the top-rated deadbolt in terms of strength and security by leading consumer testing magazines. It is available in several functions and cylinder types not available with other deadbolts, such as the Captive Thumbturn function and Classroom function, with small format interchangeable core, large format interchangeable core, and an eCylinder option.
Can you explain some of the unique design features, and what training is required and offered to locksmiths so they can develop the required skills to offer Medeco products?
The Maxum deadbolt is available with an eCylinder. Medeco eCylinders use special keys that include batteries that power the cylinder. This way the lock requires no wiring or batteries, but still provides the option for audit or time schedules which are often features desired in commercial applications.
The captive thumbturn feature is another one of my favorite features – and what I have on some doors on my house. From a life safety perspective, some fire departments only allow a single cylinder deadbolt for an occupied building. A deadbolt holds the inside thumbturn ‘captive’ unless a key is inserted and turned a quarter-turn in the outside cylinder to release the captive key. This now creates a double cylinder deadbolt for times when the home or commercial building is not occupied, like when the homeowner is on vacation. A self-adjusting tailpiece and thru-bolts that are available off the shelf are other components that make it an easy-to-install deadbolt.
Maxum deadbolts are available in different keyway programs, including those where the lock is keyed by the distributor if a dealer doesn’t have the pin kits and key machine to service the Maxum. Medeco holds classes at distributor and association events across North America.
What marketing tools are available to help locksmiths sell Medeco to their customers?
Medeco does have brochures and display mounts available to demonstrate the features of a Maxum deadbolt, but has found the most effective tool to be the technicians making a recommendation to someone needing a deadbolt. The homeowner or business owner obviously has concerns about security or they would not be contacting a security professional. The professionals that make a recommendation for a deadbolt with strength against physical attack as well as protection against unauthorized duplication of keys can’t go wrong by recommending Maxum and improving the security.
Maxum deadbolt features include:
- Solid brass collar spins under pressure to prevent wrench attacks
- Large thumbturn provides ease of use by physically challenged individuals
- Steel shroud over bolt protects against “ice pick” type attacks
- High security strike plate has a special box design with 2-inch screws that anchor the strike directly to the building structure behind the frame, preventing “kick-in” type attacks
- Hardened steel bolt and bolt throwing mechanism are surrounded by a heavy-gauge tubular steel housing for maximum resistance to crowbar attacks
- Solid brass design is secured with high-tensile steel mounting bolts for maximum resistance against hammer and prying attacks
- Utility patented key control (for cylinders that incorporate the Medeco3 design) provides protection against the unauthorized duplication of keys
- A special elevating and rotating pin tumbler design, along with false slots on the bottom pins, mushroom top pins and a sidebar mechanism, work together, to provide superior pick resistance
- Angled cuts on the keys, along with fore and aft positioning, in the Medeco3 design, provide added dimensions that dramatically increase key combinations and enables Medeco® to produce some of the largest master key systems in the industry
- Hardened steel inserts, positioned in critical areas of the cylinder, provide a high degree of drill resistance
Medeco3 Logic merges the flexibility of electronics with reliable mechanical technology - all in a retrofit cylinder. Medeco3 Logic offers end users audit trail, user access schedules and the ability to quickly add or remove a key electronically from a system. Keys are electronically programmed to open only specific locks during a designated schedule. Schedules may also contain an expiration point to completely disable the key until it is audited and reprogrammed.
Medeco3 Logic installs with no wiring in a matter of minutes and digital keys and digital cylinders reprogram for instant changes.
Medeco3 Logic software contains tools that will help you manage your security more efficiently. Flexible programming, scheduled access and full audit reports are offered with the convenience of standalone or web-based software.
Lock / Cylinder Features include:
- 1,000 groups per cylinder/1,000 keys per group
- Audit cylinder up to 750 audit records
- Encrypted communications
- Available in all common cylinder formats including KIK/KIL, large format interchangeable core, padlocks and deadbolts
- Installs into standard hardware with no wiring or other modifications
- Reprogrammed with ease to use software and administration key
- Mechanically compatible with Medeco3 and Medeco3 BiLevel
- Weather resistant
Key Features include:
- Audit key up to 1,000 audit records provides information unavailable in a mechanical system
- Self-cleaning electronic contact point for a long lasting key and reliable connection
- Powered by an easily replaceable CR2025 Battery with 20,000 cycle battery life.
- Available with RFID/PROX coil insert for dual use with HID compatible systems.
- Rated for -20 degrees to 122 degrees Fahrenheit (cylinder and key)
- Visible and audible status feedback
- Compact, water resistant housing
Memory: Non-volatile Memory Storing 750 audit events in the lock and 1,000 in the keycap
Software: Local software client or web hosted option available
Power: Power supplied by the key, no hard wiring required
Lockcase: Fits standard Rim and Mortise Housing as well as other various platforms
Lockout: Lost or stolen keys can be blacklisted so they will not function
Medeco3 Logic cylinders are available to wfit nearly any application or hardware type for enhanced security and accountability.
More Info: http://www.intelligentopenings.com.