Free NAPCO training classes, online or in person
Throughout the year, manufacturers of locks and door hardware make it easy for locksmiths to upgrade their skills and / or learn something new to help their locksmithing businesses prosper. Locksmith distributors are another excellent source for educational seminars and programs. The following is a sampling of the continuing education courses. To be included in our Continuing Education wrap-up, send your 2013 class schedules to Locksmith Ledger, fax 866-827-8020 or E-mail to Emily.email@example.com.
Lockmasters Inc. will kick off its popular PureAuto training series this month in Lexington, KY, and will offer a second session in August. Register for either session by calling 800-654-0637.
Session 1, April 15-19
- Monday – April 15th Domestic Automotive
- Tuesday – April 16th – Automotive Key Generation
- Wednesday – April 17th – Motorcycle Key Generation
- Thursday – April 18th – Intro to High Security Automotive
- Friday – April 19th – Automotive Transponders
Session 2, August 19 – 23
- Monday – August 19th - Domestic Automotive
- Tuesday – August 20th– Automotive Key Generation
- Wednesday – August 21st– Motorcycle Key Generation
- Thursday – August 22nd– Intro to High Security Automotive
- Friday – August 23rd– Automotive Transponders
More Info: Lockmasters, Inc., www.lockmasters.com
Assa Abloy Americas University
ASSA ABLOY Americas University is upgrading its eLearning website, www.assaabloyamericasuniversity.com, presenting only the types of courses that are pertinent to you.
ASSA ABLOY Americas listened to its customers and partners when they voiced their need for a comprehensive and complete training program. The new solution is two-fold: Provide learning environments that are near major metropolitan areas in the form of state-of-the art training centers and provide a wealth of eLearning online training programs.
Individuals interested in the online eLearning can apply to be a student in the ASSA ABLOY Americas University. After being accepted into the University, students can enroll in online courses and also schedule themselves into the classroom recourses. To create a profile and enroll, visit http://www.aaauelearning.com/add_profile.php.
Online electronic access control classes include:
- Electronic Access Control Fundamentals
- How Wireless Radio Is Used In Security
- Securitron ACCUPOWER Power Supplies
Online key systems and cylinders classes include:
- How A Cylinder Works
- Level 2 Master Keying
- Master Key Systems: Five Simple Rules
Online Installation Classes include:
- Retrofitting Electric Strikes Into Existing Hollow Metal Frame Doors
- Using the McKinney QC and PoE Hinge Prep Tool
Online Architectural Hardware classes include:
- Basic Architectural Hardware Review 2
- Door and Hardware Handing
- Intermediate Architectural Hardware Overview
- Ordering and Pricing Sargent Hardware Made Easy
- Sargent Electronic Latch Retraction Exit Devices
Safetech 2013 Update
The Safe and Vault Technicians Convention and Tradeshow is only a couple months away. This annual event sponsored by the Safe and Vault Technicians of America (SAVTA, www.savta.org) includes world-class education for safe technicians, along with its related tradeshow exhibition. Whether you are novice or expert, there are classes to advance your skills in installation, maintenance and operation of safes and vaults.
The dates are May 6-16 in Lexington, KY. Advanced registration will be required. Visit the SAVTA website for additional details.
Lockmasters Security Institute
Lockmasters Security Institute has released its 2013 Course Schedule online at www.lSIeducation.com. Pre-registration is required and fees vary. LSI is located at 1014 South Main St., Nicholasville, KY 40356. Telephone: 859-887-9633 or 866-574-8724. Detailed course descriptions are available online.
Online courses are also available on the following topics: Combination Lock Manipulation, Comprehensive Security Specialist, GSA Inspector Re-Certification, GSA Safe & Vault Technician Certification and Mechanical Safe Lock Servicing.
April 2013 classes include:
- April 1-3: Basic Safe Penetration
- April 4-5: Safe Deposit Box/Lock Servicing
- April 15-26: Comprehensive Security Specialist
- April 15-26: GSA Authorized Safe & Vault Technician
- April 29-May 10: Professional Locksmithing
ALOA Basic Locksmithing
2013 dates have been announced for the ALOA Training Center Six-Day Basic Locksmithing Course at ALOA Headquarters in Dallas, TX.
Upcoming Dates are: May 20-25, Sept. 30-Oct. 5 and Dec. 9-14.
Students will gain basic hands-on knowledge of locks and security related hardware. Students will work with basic locksmithing tools such as dial calipers, impressioning pliers soft face mallet, lock pick set, along with other locksmith specialty tools. Upon completion of this course, graduates have the knowledge required to function as an apprentice locksmith who can perform the following tasks:
- Identify and duplicate keys
- Service and adjust key machines
- Rekey a variety of lock cylinders
- Make original keys for a variety of locks; by code
- Disassembly and impressioning
- Bypass and/or pick common locks
- Troubleshoot and service common cylinder and lockset malfunctions
- Identify common lock hardware finishes and functions
- Be familiar with Life Safety Codes and the ADA
- Design and key a simple master key system
- Know combination lock operation and changing methods
Upon completion, students receive a locksmith tool kit including a pinning kit, pin tray, follower, tweezers, key gauge, cylinder retainer removal tool, Kwikset cylinder removal tool, shim stock and round impressioning file. They also receive Ilco Key Blank Directory, PRP Resource Guide which includes the ALOA Locksmith Dictionary, 432-page reference manual, Life Safety Codes & ADA class manual and an ACE Certificate attesting 48 credit hours of CE instruction. An ALOA Fundamental Locksmith certificate will be issued to those who successfully pass the written test at the end of the course.
IP Video Technology Tours
Tri-Ed / Northern Video Distribution continues to offer its free North American IP Video Technology Tours throughout the year. The one-day training events are held in Tri-Ed / Northern Video branches across the country.
These comprehensive IP trainings, led by Jeff Stout, Tri-Ed / Northern Video’s director of network solutions, and Mike Leary, network product specialist, cover important technical topics such as Video Resolution, Illumination, Ethernet Transmission, Surge Suppression, Recording Platforms, Types of Networks and Understanding Storage.
Upcoming Dates & Locations: May 15, Orlando, FL; June 5, Houston; Sept. 12, Dallas; Oct. 16, New York City; Nov. 13, Southern California.
More Info: www.tri-ed.com.