Locksmith Ledger is owned by Cygnus Business Media. During the annual meetings a speaker compared our company to a flock of geese flying in a ?V? formation. He described how geese in the lead can cause a wind updraft which actually helps each following goose in the formation to remain airborne...
To access the remainder of this piece of premium content, you must be registered with Locksmith Ledger. Already have an account? Login
Register in seconds by connecting with your preferred Social Network.
Complete the registration form.
Locksmith Ledger is owned by Cygnus Business Media. During the annual meetings a speaker compared our company to a flock of geese flying in a ?V? formation. He described how geese in the lead can cause a wind updraft which actually helps each following goose in the formation to remain airborne with less effort. The result is that the flock can travel further with less effort than one goose flying by himself.
This presents some interesting questions. What would have happened if people such as Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison and Henry Ford had just followed the crowd and not tried something out of the ordinary on their own? If Michael Jordan had always passed the ball to his teammates instead of shooting baskets, would the Chicago Bulls have won so many championships?
A similar circumstance is now affecting locksmithing. In a previous Ledger editorial, there was mention of unknown companies who are now placing large ads in many yellow page phone books. One result has been that people needing immediate locksmith service are apparently calling the largest ad first and established local locksmiths are said to be losing their share of emergency business.
A combined meeting of two Chicago locksmith associations was held recently in order to discuss what was happening in Illinois. Several locksmiths reportedly presented their personal stories of lost emergency business. Other locksmiths at the meeting reportedly stated that many of these new companies were unlicensed to do locksmithing in Illinois.
The 80-20 rule is a well-known business proverb. It is said that the top 20 percent of companies get 80 percent of the work while the other 80 percent of companies end up with the remaining 20 percent of work.
While emergency work is important, it is not usually the largest percentage of income for the top 20 percent of locksmith companies. Nothing beats a good base of commercial customers who can be depended upon to call you periodically. Emergency work should not be the primary source of revenue for most locksmiths.
It may be easier to fly in formation and wait for the emergency phone to ring, but it is the Edison and Ford types of the world who have become successful by striking out on their own and developing a sound base of return customers.
The terms, “asleep at the switch” and “asleep at the wheel” arose from 19th-century American railroading, when it was the trainman’s duty to switch cars from one track to another by...
TWENTY YEARS AGO Milt Wolferseder explained the Mosler insulated record container safes. Ledger reported on the sale of Precision Safe Products to Ilco Unican in February of 1991. U.S. Lock opened...
Along with hibernating animals, winter is also a time of dormancy as far as locksmith events are concerned. At just about this time with the beginning of basketball March Madness, the locksmith...
On page 78 of our November 1993 issue of Locksmith Ledger, I introduced a new system for reading GM Cavalier wafer locks. The process consisted of making several keys which had a cutaway portion and a...