King Cobra locks have already been providing locksmiths with innovative solutions for customers whose security requirements demand better security and greater flexibility than mechanical keypads and keys can provide. The King Cobra initially supported pin codes, iButton access or a...
King Cobra locks have already been providing locksmiths with innovative solutions for customers whose security requirements demand better security and greater flexibility than mechanical keypads and keys can provide.
The King Cobra initially supported pin codes, iButton access or a combination of iButton and PIN access control with a cylindrical lock and mortise lock replacement. The unique KC9000 storefront solution followed which interfaced with Adams-Rite and Von Duprin hardware.
The King Cobra’s multiple code capacity and easy keypad programming made it an attractive upgrade for many facilities. Its ability to accept the iButton meant doors within the same facility could share the same credentials, even if certain doors were not candidates for a hardwired access solution due to their remote location or perceived level of threat.
King Cobra 2 locks are the next generation in the King Cobra family. A KC2 Upgrade Kit offers a field-retrofit solution designed to make an existing King Cobra lock into a KC2 lock.
All KC locks come with the following new features:
- SNAP programmability
- 1000 individual user codes and credentials
- 1000 audit trail events
- Enhanced environmental durability
- Upward migration with Security Management System Express software from Schlage
- Time Zones when managed using Express software
SNAP PROGRAMMER & PC APPLICATION
The SNAP Programmer & PC Application provides an easy way to link people, doors and locks for simple access control management. SNAP was designed for the busy user, for use with all Schlage KC2 locks.
Simplicity, speed, ease of use and an intuitive layout simplify programming and managing locks. The end result is a handheld programming tool that is so simple, you won’t need extensive training, and you won’t forget how it works before the next time you have to use it comes around.
The SNAP Programmer communicates with your PC via the USB port, acting much like a jump drive or external USB storage device. A simple screen and keypad layout provides easy navigation. The built-in iButton reader allows for quick registration of new iButton credentials, allowing you to move beyond simple numeric pin codes.
The SNAP PC Application runs on your PC and is where you connect people to doors. The screen interface provides a simple intuitive layout, drag and drop features and data import/export hot buttons, making set up and management of access control in a facility a snap. The installation is non-invasive and will not conflict with other programs running on a PC. Best of all, the software is free.
“Most access control solutions are designed either for simple manual programming at the lock or for powerful offline or online functionality through software,” explains Chris Nieshalla, marketing manager with Schlage electronic security. “The KC2 lock and SNAP programmer create a nexus between the simplicity of a USB thumb drive and access control lock management. The system is specifically designed for the end user with multiple locks and employees, who finds it impractical to program each lock manually through the keypad, yet does not require the fully featured functions of higher price online lock and software solutions. Examples include retail operations, small to medium sized businesses, property management firms, commercial office buildings, schools, hospitals, airports and many other institutional facilities.”
PROGRAMMING: THREE OPTIONS
KC2 locks can be programmed in one of three ways:
• Manually, using the lock keypad
• Using the SNAP Programmer and PC Application
• Using Express software and programmer
This flexibility makes KC2 the perfect lock to grow with a facility. As needs change, so can the way in which the locks are managed. Each method of programming unlocks new features and functions, already existing in the KC2 electronics. This migratable approach allows the most basic user to have a plan for growth, one that won’t require them to buy new locks when security needs change.
Option 1: Manual Keypad
- A few doors
- A few users
- Infrequent addition/deletions
Option 2: SNAP Programming
- Many doors
- Many users
- Frequent addition/deletions
Option 3: Express Software Programming
- Required for time zones
KC5000-2 Locks are designed for cylindrical and mortise door preps and can be used in any facility, on any door where electronic access control is desired to simplify key control and increase the level of security. These locks are a good solution for applications such as hospitals, education, multi-family, property management, airports and government.
KC2 provides a great security, convenience and performance upgrade from a reliance on mechanical keys or mechanical pushbutton locks.
KC2 Office Function Locks provide a convenient lock/unlock button on the inside of the door, allowing credential-free passage during the day, and credential-only access during the night, keeping the office secure.
KC9000-2 Locks are designed for use with aluminum doors that rely on various latches and exit devices to secure the opening. They provide a performance upgrade from a reliance on mechanical keys or mechanical pushbutton locks. These narrow stile door solutions can be used in any facility, on any door where electronic access control is desired to simplify key control and increase the level of security, making the locks a good solution for retail storefronts, restaurants, multifamily entrances and commercial office space. Secure the front entrance and interior rooms by combining with KC5000 locks.
Along with all the new features of a KCR-2 lock, the KCR-2 includes a special backplate, allowing an easy upgrade from an Ilco 1000 mechanical pushbutton lock to a fully-featured electronic access control solution.
All King Cobra locks provide an easy upward migration path away from a reliance on mechanical keys to maintain building security and access control.
Once the integrity of the mechanical key system has been reestablished, locks with pin codes or electronic credentials can be used to maintain ongoing control of who has access to where and when.
• Number of Users: 1000
• Number of Audits: 1000
• SNAP Compatible
• Battery Life: Cycles: 80,000 cycles or 3 years, 4 AA Batteries
• Lever Mechanism: Vandlgard® clutching mechanism. Levers operate independently.
• Environmental Performance: -20°F (-28°C) to +130°F (54°C)
• Warranty: 1 Year
• Latch Types: Cylindrical Latchbolt, Mortise Latchbolt, Mortise, AutoBolt
• Lock Prep: - Cylindrical: Standard ANSI 161 cylindrical prep for 1-3/4” doors. 1-1/2” to 2” field adjustable. 1-3/8” with shim kit.
• Mortise: ANSI Standard Mortise Lock Prep with 2-3/4”nominal backset for 1-3/4” doors. Adjustable from 1-7/8” to 2-3/4” in 1/8” increments.
• Cylinder: Solid brass 6-pin mortise cylinder with Schlage Everest® C123 keyway keyed different with two 6-pin nickel silver keys. Accommodates most mortise cylinders with a compatible Schlage straight cam.
• 1-1/8” mortise cylinder (1-1/4” with blocking ring)
• Handing: Field Reversible levers
• Screws: High security spanner screws on inside escutcheon. No exposed screws on exterior escutcheon.
• Chassis: Patented heavy duty zinc die cast
• Cylindrical Backset: 2-3/4” standard (2-3/8” option available)
• Cylindrical Latchbolt: 1/2” Standard (3/4” option available)
• Mortise Deadbolts (where applicable): Stainless Steel 1” throw, 1-5/8” high, 5/8” thick
• EMI/RFI: Not impacted
• Buttons: 12 buttons, stainless steel/zinc
• Indicator Lights: Red and Green. Indicates activation, system status, errors and low power
• ANSI Standards: In testing for BHMA Grade 1 Deadlatch, Deadbolt and Hookbolt Applications Solutions
• SNAP Programmable
• Supervised Use (2-man rule) – requires two codes/credentials to gain access.
• One-time use – code is set up for one use, then becomes invalid. Great for deliveries or service technicians
• Freeze/Lock-out – permanently locks keypad until lock-out code is re-entered. Keypad can still be used for programming
• Toggle mode – unlocks the lock indefinitely (passage)
• Pass through mode – allow access during lock-out mode
• Normal use (Default) – Momentarily unlocks for relock delay
Classroom/Storeroom Function (KC5000 SERIES 2) –You do not need a code or credential for egress. The inside lever always allows free egress.
Office Function –You can set the lock/unlock buttons on inside of door for credential-free passage during the day and credential-only access during the night.
For more information, contact your local Ingersoll Rand Security Technologies consultant or wholesaler or visit the web site www.schlage.com.
Editor's Note: Photos that support this article will be available to view in a few days. Please visit again to more insight.